Re: MIPS Magnum 4000

To: linux-mips
Subject: Re: MIPS Magnum 4000
From: Ryan Rafferty <rraffer1@osf1.gmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 18:25:46 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> I bet the RISC/os console is *very* similar to the ARC firmware.  Probably
> the only thing that is different is the byteorder.  In that case it will
> be a snap to port Linux - recompile everything, deactivate the kernel
> support for the G364 card (needs a bit of hacking) and you should be
> there.

That would be cool.  But I have something in mind that's a little
different... Would it be possible to emulate the standard IBM PC BIOS
routines that ISA video cards need?  I know that DEC Alpha's do this in
their firmware.

Another thing I was thinking -- have you taken a look at the MILO that
Linux/ALPHA uses?  It is a very nice console that allows standard Linux
device drivers to be used before actually loading the Linux kernel.  This
in turn makes it possible to boot Linux from any device that a Linux
device driver exists for.  Could we implement something like this for
Linux/MIPS?

> I'll check the firmware issue out.
>
>   Ralf
>
> --