Re: MIPS Magnum 4000

To: linux-mips
Subject: Re: MIPS Magnum 4000
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 23:15:42 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> > By work, I mean the following:  will the BIOS ignore the thing until
> > it is booted (via a serial console, say), when the OS can then take
> > over and dittle the video card in a standard way.  A $35 ISA card is a
> > whole lot cheaper than the $315 Carrara one, no?
>
> Sure it is.  But it won't work.  The MIPS Magnum console doesn't know how
> to use normal ISA video cards, and can't/won't send its display to them.
> In fact, it can't even initialize them.  That's the sad fact of the
> matter.  The ARC console only knows how to deal with g364 graphics.  If
> you want, you can get the Risc/OS console loaded on the Magnum somehow,
> and it will use the serial port as a console.  But AFAIK only Risc/OS can
> be loaded from there so of course that rules out Windows NT or Linux.

I bet the RISC/os console is *very* similar to the ARC firmware.  Probably
the only thing that is different is the byteorder.  In that case it will
be a snap to port Linux - recompile everything, deactivate the kernel
support for the G364 card (needs a bit of hacking) and you should be
there.

I'll check the firmware issue out.

74 a3 53 cc 0b 19