Re: MIPS Magnum 4000

To: linux-mips
Subject: Re: MIPS Magnum 4000
From: Ryan Rafferty <rraffer1@osf1.gmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 16:58:12 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Warner Losh wrote:

> I have a line on one of these machine, sans video card.  Can I take a
> standard PC video card and slap it in there and have it work?

Nope.

> By work, I mean the following:  will the BIOS ignore the thing until
> it is booted (via a serial console, say), when the OS can then take
> over and dittle the video card in a standard way.  A $35 ISA card is a
> whole lot cheaper than the $315 Carrara one, no?

Sure it is.  But it won't work.  The MIPS Magnum console doesn't know how
to use normal ISA video cards, and can't/won't send its display to them.
In fact, it can't even initialize them.  That's the sad fact of the
matter.  The ARC console only knows how to deal with g364 graphics.  If
you want, you can get the Risc/OS console loaded on the Magnum somehow,
and it will use the serial port as a console.  But AFAIK only Risc/OS can
be loaded from there so of course that rules out Windows NT or Linux.

Ryan Rafferty
Read my MIPS:  No new VAXES!