Re: MIPS Magnum 4000

To: linux-mips
Subject: Re: MIPS Magnum 4000
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 14:27:02 -0700
Cc: rraffer1@osf1.gmu.edu
: > >   What video cards can I use? (will a Trident isa + 256k dram work?)
: >
: > You need a special video card for the Magnum.  Regular ISA or EISA cards
: > WILL NOT WORK.  The video card is a 2meg VRAM frame-buffer video card
: > based on the INMOS g364 chipset and has a fixed frequency output of
: > 1280x1024x256 at 60 herz.  Most newer multisync monitors can handle that.
: >
: > Unfortunately, however, the video card is extremely expensive (quoted
: > price is $315) and is availible from only one place--Carrera Computers.

I have a line on one of these machine, sans video card.  Can I take a
standard PC video card and slap it in there and have it work?

By work, I mean the following:  will the BIOS ignore the thing until
it is booted (via a serial console, say), when the OS can then take
over and dittle the video card in a standard way.  A $35 ISA card is a
whole lot cheaper than the $315 Carrara one, no?

Or am I dreaming?

Warner