Re: linux on DEC-Stations

To: linux-mips
Subject: Re: linux on DEC-Stations
From: Michael Engel <engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 10:05:13 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> There are several 10s of DEC-Stations around, many running VMS and
> several ULTRIX, the latter being outphased this summer.

Be careful not to confuse DECstations (MIPS based) with VAXstations
(eehm ... VAX based, right ? ;-)). If you have machines running VMS,
these are either VAXstations or Alphas. The only operating system
that was available for the DECstations is Ultrix (well, and a pre-release
of OSF/1).

A port of Linux to VAXstations (2000/3100) has also been started, but is
in a _very_ early stage. I can dig out the relevant URL if you like.

> As I am working
> as UNIX-Sysadmin with solid Intel-Linux experience here, people asked me
> about the possibility to use their DEC-Stations as somewhat intelligent
> X-Terminals under Linux.
> However, as far as I understand, the kernel is
> running more or less stable, but there is nothing more in software than
> network code and a C development suite. Is this correct?

Not quite. The kernel is still far from completion, so don't hold your
breath. Your only option now would be running OpenBSD or NetBSD - we
converted a pool of DECstations here at Siegen Univ. to OpenBSD a month
or so ago. Netbooting etc. works fine, so you can also run diskless
workstations.

> Is there a way
> we can help the project to make steps ahead (although we really DON'T
> HAVE MUCH MANPOWER).

Well, if you could donate a DS2100/3100 or 5000/200 (that's the machines we
currently have hardware documentation for), _that_ would be nice...

Currently it seems that only two people (Paul Antoine and me) are more or
less actively working on the DECstation port, so every helping hand would
be a plus !

regards,
        Michael Engel   (engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de)