linux on DEC-Stations

To: linux-mips
Subject: linux on DEC-Stations
From: Johannes Heilmann <heilmann@clri6a.gsi.de>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 09:45:08 +0100
Cc: j.heilmann@clri6a.gsi.de
Sender: heilmann@clri6a.gsi.de
--
Hello,

GSI is a medium sized high energy physics lab in Germany running a heavy
ion accelerators. We have around 300 scientists staff, and around twice
the number of scientists working on site.

There are several 10s of DEC-Stations around, many running VMS and
several ULTRIX, the latter being outphased this summer. As I am working
as UNIX-Sysadmin with solid Intel-Linux experience here, people asked me
about the possibility to use their DEC-Stations as somewhat intelligent
X-Terminals under Linux. However, as far as I understand, the kernel is
running more or less stable, but there is nothing more in software than
network code and a C development suite. Is this correct? Is there a way
we can help the project to make steps ahead (although we really DON'T
HAVE MUCH MANPOWER).

With best regards,

happy linuxing

Johannes Heilmann