Re: VAXlinux and Linux/MIPS

Subject: Re: VAXlinux and Linux/MIPS
From: paul@suede.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 11:01:10 +1100 (EST)
Hi Karl,

> Myself and Chris Nott are the port maintainers of the Linux/VAX
> port. I thought I may send you a quick mail to discuss whether you
> are aware of any similarities between the DECstations and the
> VAXstations... Saves us re-inventing the wheel...

Indeed.  It would seem logical that much of the VAXstation stuff be
similar to the DECstations... though I'm not sure of the geneology of
the two product lines.  Certainly the 2100 and 3100 DECstations look
like a VAX derivative, as their serial chips are DZ11 (I'm not sure if
that's the right number) based.

> We too have run into the wall called lack of documentation, and a
> lot of work has come from the NetBSD and 4.4BSD implemtations.

So you've done a lot of reading of code... pity no one created
documentation as they went.  I beleive that some of the folks working
on that had access to doco from DEC at the time too.

> Specifically, I have heard the consoles are very similar, do you
> know of where I can get some documentation? i.e. NetBSD only support
> serial consoles... (easy.. uses protected registers). and the ROM
> routines only work in physical mode. The only vague implemtation I
> have is from 4.4BSD , with the Q-BUS console that looks roughly
> similar..

Hmmm... I assume you mean the graphics consoles of the two product
lines.  On the personal DECstations these are built in to the
motherboard, however there are plug-in Turbo-channel graphics cards
too.  I assume your graphics consoles are on cards that plug into the
Q-BUS?

Have you heard of a DECServer 5400 machine? A number of Linux/MIPS
folks have these which purport to having a MIPS CPU and a Q-BUS.

> Hopefully we'll be able to assist each other in the ports!

Let's try to!

Regards,
Paul