VAXlinux and Linux/MIPS

To: paul@suede.sw.oz.au
Subject: VAXlinux and Linux/MIPS
From: "Maftoum / Karl Joseph (ISE)" <k.maftoum@student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 00:53:11 +1100 (EDT)
Sender: paul@suede.sw.oz.au
Hi Paul,

Myself and Chris Nott are the port maintainers of the Linux/VAX port. I
thought I may send you a quick mail to discuss whether you are aware of
any similarities between the DECstations and the VAXstations... Saves us
re-inventing the wheel...

We too have run into the wall called lack of documentation, and a lot of
work has come from the NetBSD and 4.4BSD implemtations.

Specifically, I have heard the consoles are very similar, do you know of
where I can get some documentation? i.e. NetBSD only support serial
consoles... (easy.. uses protected registers). and the ROM routines only
work in physical mode. The only vague implemtation I have is from 4.4BSD
, with the Q-BUS console that looks roughly similar..

Hopefully we'll be able to assist each other in the ports!

Cheers
Karl

Karl Maftoum
Computer Engineering Student at the University of Canberra, Australia

Email: k.maftoum@student.canberra.edu.au