Re: Can I help ?

To: linux-mips
Subject: Re: Can I help ?
From: Michael Engel <engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 09:44:40 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

>    I might have a way to get some older SGI HW to work with. I would like
> to see Linux on it. In what stage Linux for SGIs is, and how can I help ?
>    This HW is such that it is only able to run Irix 5.6 (or is it 5.3?).

5.3 is the latest Iris 5.x release. I also have two SGI machines here, a
Personal Iris 4D25 and an Indigo R3000.

>   Where can I find more info ?

I contacted Dave Patterson (sp?) last week, he is a member of the Plan9
team at Bell Labs. They have ported Plan9 to R3000 Indigo and some big
SGI gear (4D2xx something). He told me that someone from SGI has helped
them porting and that I should contact him for more info. Unfortunately,
I lost his reply due to a harddisk failure :-(, I'll have to ask him again ...

We have a description somewhere how to netboot a SGI machine (had to do it
in order to install Irix - the PI 4D25 didn't like our CD-ROM), that may be
of help for you.

The SGI's are strictly big-endian and (except for the graphics boards, of
course) have mostly standard hardware - WD33C93 SCSI controller, Lance
7990 ethernet, Dallas RTC, Z8530 SIOs ...

regards,
        Michael Engel   (engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de)