Re: MIPS linux on DEC 3100/2100

To: linux-mips
Subject: Re: MIPS linux on DEC 3100/2100
From: Michael Engel <engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 14:33:16 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> I've got probably half a dozen or so 3100s and 2100s here at Reed College
> which are just gathering dust at the present.  :)  (They were replaced
> with Alphas last year.)

Fine ! You can find hardware information on the 2100/3100 on
ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/DEC/specs/

I currently have kind of a console driver running on the 2100/3100 that will
work with monochrome and color displays as well as serial console. The 2100/
3100 - at least the ones I have access to - obviously can't use the standard
"REX" prom calls that work on the DS5000 series for console I/O. I didn't
have time to put the source or a precompiled kernel on our ftp server yet,
sorry.

If you want to try out kernels on the DECstations, your best choice is
probably booting via tftp or MOP. I do cross-development and remote
booting on an old 486 Linux box that runs tftpd and bootpd - works like
a charm.

> I could also pull a DECsystem 5500 out of mothballs if anybody was curious
> to see how linux ran on it.

Oops, never heard of a 5500 ...

regards,
        Michael Engel   (engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de)