Re: Joining and MIPS Magnum 4000

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Joining and MIPS Magnum 4000
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 15:35:41 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> > no, Mips sold two different versions: Server (no video, no mouse, no audio)
> > and Workstation (fully equipped).
>
> And at the moment Linux/Mips supports the Workstation only versions ?

Yes, but not the onboard SCSI.

> Does that mean that my Millennium that was used as a server should boot via
> serial link ?

Probably.  The Millenium aka Magnum 4000SC isn't supported yet; the support
for the SC/MC caches is still missing.

> I suppose the only OS the server models worked with was RISC/OS not WinNT ?

Yes.  And with the experience I made with WNT on Olivetti I would not
even try to install it.  It will just crash.

> What we need then is a seriel bootable Linux and an Xserver or shell that you
> can rlogin over Ethernet ?

Yes.  You can try to attach the machine's serial interface via a nullmodem
to another machine/terminal.  The parameters should be 9600 8N1.  Maybe
you have to hit the break key several times but then you should get some
output.