Re: Joining and MIPS Magnum 4000

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Joining and MIPS Magnum 4000
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 18:29:30 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> I was told that they take 72 pin SIMMS WITH PARITY and that you fill the SIMM
> banks that are vertical before the angled ones, ie 4 up then 4 slanted, not
> sure if you have to fill all 4 banks though ?

The machine has just two banks, each four modules.  Makes a possible
maximum of eight modules total.  I think in the boards I saw all slots
were slanted.

> Did you get yours from Onsale ? All 10 went pretty quick.
>
> I was wondering about the graphics cards, did all "ACE" machines use
> proprietry
> cards in EISA slots ? Were there ever any 3rd party makers ?

The slots with the proprietary cards are no EISA slots no matter how
similar they look.

> Talking of Graphics cards what are the basics behind them, I mean such things
> as what do the PROMS/EPROMS contain ? Do they contain x86 code or native to
> the
> graphics processor ?

The GFX card EPROM contains just one single byte that (probably) says if
it's a 1mb or 2mb version of the GFX card.  The onboard EEPROMS contain
the firmware used for booting the machine.

> Just thinking of ways to get around the shortage of GC for these MIPS boxes,
> also how come they had no graphics cards ? Did someone take them out thinking
> they could be used on EISA equiped PCs ??

The machines can be jumpered to work with serial console.  In theory you
could use them that way and use a normal (E)ISA GFX card as display
for the machine, an X-terminal or just stick with the serial console.