Re: Joining and MIPS Magnum 4000

Subject: Re: Joining and MIPS Magnum 4000
From: "Richard Ingram" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 16:43:10 +0000
> Subject: Re: Joining and MIPS Magnum 4000
> Hello all,
>       I'm interested in joining this mailing list because I have
> purchased a MIPS Magnum 4000 PC-50 and would like to run Linux on it.
> I was also wondering if anyone knows what type of RAM this thing uses,
> since I can hardly find any information on this hardware at all.
> Thanks,
> -Jack <>
>-- End of excerpt from Jack Tihon

I was told that they take 72 pin SIMMS WITH PARITY and that you fill the SIMM
banks that are vertical before the angled ones, ie 4 up then 4 slanted, not
sure if you have to fill all 4 banks though ?

Did you get yours from Onsale ? All 10 went pretty quick.

I was wondering about the graphics cards, did all "ACE" machines use proprietry
cards in EISA slots ? Were there ever any 3rd party makers ?

Talking of Graphics cards what are the basics behind them, I mean such things
as what do the PROMS/EPROMS contain ? Do they contain x86 code or native to the
graphics processor ?

Just thinking of ways to get around the shortage of GC for these MIPS boxes,
also how come they had no graphics cards ? Did someone take them out thinking
they could be used on EISA equiped PCs ??

Owner of bare bones Magnum and Millennium !!