Re: making a BIG ENDIAN root disk

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: making a BIG ENDIAN root disk
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 01:15:18 +0100 (MET)
Hi Steve,

> Our work porting linux-mips to run on top of the SimOS machine
> simulator is coming along well. The kernel is pretty much ready, and
> now it's time to get a root disk image together. Note that we are
> simulating a big endian machine.

Sounds good!

> I looked in:
>
>         ftp.fnet.fr:/linux-mips/filesys
>
> and found the little endian version of the filesystem (is this up to
> date?). I need a big endian version of this image. Does anyone have
> this?

I *think* that one is up to date in the sense of being still useable with
a mipsel-linux machine.  It is however not useable with an big endian
machine because it contains little endian ELF binaries.

> If not, does someone have the source tree (and makefile) from which
> the complete root disk (binaries and configuration files) can be
> made. While we're on the subject, I assume that there is a "mkfs"
> program available somewhere so that I can make my own filesystems...

Get the exfsprogs package from tsx-11.mit.edu in
/pub/linux/packages/ext2fs.  This is exactly what I'm using, just that I've
built an older version.

If you made your homeworks right you should be able to create an ext2
filesystem on any big or little endian machine and SimOS running Linux/MIPS
should be able to mount, read and write it.

All a minimal root filesystem needs is /bin/sh.  For testing purposes you
don't even need to install a real shell there; I used an assembler written
hello world ...  Then you need a /dev/ directory.  In order to create that
use the /dev/MAKEDEV script found on your nearest Linux machine.  Or even
easier - take the image from ftp.fnet.fr and just replace the binaries on
it.

> Thanks for the help. Once we get this all together I think it will
> help make linux-mips development much easier!

(Looking at a useless Sparcstation 20 :->

  Ralf

(This is my time again ... ;-)