DS2100 weirdness & more ...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: DS2100 weirdness & more ...
From: Michael Engel <engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 01:37:32 +0100 (MET)
Hi,
Glad to see there's still life here :-).

This year probably starts good:

Our CS dept. gave me a DS2100 to work on Linux/MIPS.
This machine has 24 MB RAM, a RZ23 hard disk, a VR299 mono monitor
and a terminal attached to a serial port.

So, the first thing I did was to boot Paul's 2.1.1 kernel - without
success :-(. Is it correct that the DS2100 firmware doesn't support
the same calls as the DS5k ? The machine hangs on the very first PROM
call (pmax_printf), so I assume it jumps to the wrong location ...

I took a look at Sprite code but wasn't able to determine what is
wrong.

Btw., I found another interesting thing: a version of Xinu for DS3100 !
This contains some useful bits of code. They use the DZ11 (?) serial
port as console. The code looks quite simple, so I'll try to get a serial
console working on the 2100 during the next days. I'll have to dig through
the Xinu sources a little more, the complete sources are a 12 MB .tar.gz
file !

Hmmm, as the DS2100 is still located at university, I finally found a
way to spend my spare time between lessons (other than reading News ;-)) !

regards,
        Michael Engel   (engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de)