Re: BogoMIPS working on DS5000/200 !

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: BogoMIPS working on DS5000/200 !
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 03:08:50 +0100 (MET)
> Hi Paul, Ralf and all you others,
>
> the timer interrupt now seems to work well on the DS5000/200.

(crowd is clapping, girls fall unconsious ...)

> Now I'll try to adjust the HZ value to get a correct BogoMIPS number.
> I'm currently using a timer interval of 64 Hz (15.625 ms) and set
> HZ to 64 in include/asm-mips/param.h [this _is_ the right place, I hope ...].

That's a bit hacky.  <asm/param.h> is also used by userland.  So far
we've used a value of 100 Hz.  Changing this will break all userland
stuff which depends on that assumption.  I'll think about a solution.

> This shows us 3.11 BogoMIPS ... I don't think this is the correct value,
> is it ?

I don't think so.  Have to read what the latency for a taken branch
on the R3000 is.  Then I can say you what the theoretical value for
BogoMIPS is.

> Btw., I forgot to mention that I indeed used pmax_printf in printk, so I got
> the BogoMIPS etc. printed. I changed printk to:

> Bad hack, but actually works :-)

More elegant solution:  Use register_console() (kernel/printk.c) to
register pmax_printf() as the printing function on startup.  The console
initialization will then register another console.  You can do that
cleanly in arch/mips/dec/setup.c:decstation_setup().