Re: More cleanups for DECstation

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: More cleanups for DECstation
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 14:33:12 +0100 (MET)
Hi all,

> There is still plenty of x86-specific goo in the arch/mips/kernel
> directory that's making it hard to move the DECstation port along,
> mainly because I'd like to rip out great chunks of it and put them
> somewhere else.

Yes, I know.  It was just easy to cheat for Jazz ...

> Can you tell I've been frustrated with interrupts all day? :-)

Probably phone interrupts :-)

> Could you have a look at those items when you look at the entry.S/head.S
> issues.  I'm thinking specifically of stuff like time.c which assumes
> the existance of setup_x86_irq etc.  In fact, the whole IRQ stuff needs
> some thought... anything else you already have in mind?

It's not the first time we discuss this on this list ...  just nobody
has anything done yet ...

I suggest that we reserve interrupts 0-15 for PC-style hardware because
there are some drivers out there which have interrupt numbers hardcoded.
All other interrupts go to numbers >= 16.

As for the specific case in arch/mips/kernel/time.c I've already implemented
a machine specific setup routine for this which should hopefully satisfy
your needs.  I'll still have to add support for those machines which
have CPU internal timers like the R4600.