Re: Errors compiling kernel 2.0.21

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Errors compiling kernel 2.0.21
From: paul@suede.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 16:55:40 +1100 (EST)
Hi folks,

Michael Engel wrote:

> > I've also tried to boot the precompiled DECstation kernels from
> > ftp.softway.com.au over tftp, but the 1.3.62 stops at "Initializing memory"
> > and 2.0.7 stops at "Initializing timer".
>
> That's correct behaviour ... more code hasn't been written yet - or, to be
> more precise, it hasn't been made available. I haven't heard from Paul
> Antoine in the last weeks, maybe he's busy doing other things.

VERY!  I'm sorry I just haven't been able to devote any time to it... I
only get to read this mailing list (which sits in a separate mail folder)
about once a week (maybe).

> I got a timer interrupt ticking on my DS5000/200 last week, but the d**n
> interrupt doesn't yet return to where it should ...

Cool - can you send me some of the assembler you've written?  I'm keen to
see how you're doing this.  The reason is the convoluted way in which Mach
appears to do this doesn't make sense to me...

> So, don't expect a completely working DecStation kernel. There is lots of
> work to be done and you are invited to join us ... The biggest problem with
> the 5000/1xx systems is missing documentation (Paul was trying to get some
> from DEC). Currently, documentation is available for DS2100/3100 and
> DS5000/200.

All my plans to link up with John 'maddog' Hall in New Hampshire came to
nought (again too busy with the business end of that trip).  We'll keep
trying to dig stuff out of DEC...

Regards,
Paul