Re: Linux Mips for Nec RiscStation 2200

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux Mips for Nec RiscStation 2200
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 11:51:07 -0700
Cc: splante@microsoft.com
In message
<c=US%a=_%p=msft%l=RED-17-MSG-961124011331Z-9198@INET-05-IMC.itg.microsoft.com>
Stephane Plante writes:
: I have a few machines in my office that will no longer be used
: for anything useful. One of these is a Nec RiscStation 2200.

This wouldn't have anything at all to do with the dropping of support
for MIPS boxes in future versions of Windows NT would it :-)

I don't know the level of support for the RiscStation, but generally
it is fairly easy to add support for new machines.  If you have the
technical specs for the machine, then it is even easier. :-)  My big
problem is lack of information on my Deskstation rPC44.  I have some,
but not quite enough, to get the job done. :-(

You may wish to check out OpenBSD/arc.  They aren't as far a long as
Linux, but that may suite your tastes better.  Or maybe not.

: -- What's the state of SCSI support for mips? You can be very
: detailed in saying why it doesn't work.

Generally, it works.  The disk drivers are the big issues here.

: -- Is there is an easy method of installing linux on the MIPS?

No. :-(.

: I can't use NFS to boot the system, since I have no NFS servers
: in my office. I am hoping that someone will have made something
: like the slackware 'A' disk set

You can always build things up from scatch and put them onto a disk
from one of your machines running intel.  This works for both Linux
and OpenBSD.  For Linux, there are a few cds that have a MIPS
distribution on them, but I don't know which ones they are.

: -- Would running X be viable?

If XFree86 supports it :-).

: -- Any multiprocessor support expected?

Unknown.  The stock Linux kernel (but not the OpenBSD one) has SMP
support in it.  There has been some rumors of work of SMPizing the
linux/mips kernel, but I don't know the status.

Warner

P.S.  Sorry to include both OpenBSD and Linux in this mailing list,
but I thought that others would appreciate knowing what the
competition is up to.