Re: Errors compiling kernel 2.0.21

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Errors compiling kernel 2.0.21
From: Michael Engel <engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 11:42:44 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> I'm trying to compile Linux/MIPS kernel ver. 2.0.21 for a Decstation
> 5000/120.

Fine, another one with a DS5000 !

> The kernel compiles up to arch/mips/mips1/r3000.S, then it stops with a
> few errors. Here are the error messages:

[...]

The DECstation changes haven't been integrated into kernel 2.0.21. The sources
for 2.0.7 with modifications for DECstations can be found at
ftp.softway.com.au or ftp.fnet.fr
This kernel compiles without problems on my intel/Linux machine with the
cross-compiler tools from ftp.fnet.fr.

> I've also tried to boot the precompiled DECstation kernels from
> ftp.softway.com.au over tftp, but the 1.3.62 stops at "Initializing memory"
> and 2.0.7 stops at "Initializing timer".

That's correct behaviour ... more code hasn't been written yet - or, to be
more precise, it hasn't been made available. I haven't heard from Paul
Antoine in the last weeks, maybe he's busy doing other things.

I got a timer interrupt ticking on my DS5000/200 last week, but the d**n
interrupt doesn't yet return to where it should ...

So, don't expect a completely working DecStation kernel. There is lots of
work to be done and you are invited to join us ... The biggest problem with
the 5000/1xx systems is missing documentation (Paul was trying to get some
from DEC). Currently, documentation is available for DS2100/3100 and DS5000/200.

regards,
        Michael Engel   (engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de)