Re: Errors compiling kernel 2.0.21

Subject: Re: Errors compiling kernel 2.0.21
From: Michael Engel <>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 11:42:44 +0100 (MET)
> I'm trying to compile Linux/MIPS kernel ver. 2.0.21 for a Decstation
> 5000/120.

Fine, another one with a DS5000 !

> The kernel compiles up to arch/mips/mips1/r3000.S, then it stops with a
> few errors. Here are the error messages:

The DECstation changes haven't been integrated into kernel 2.0.21. The sources
for 2.0.7 with modifications for DECstations can be found at or
This kernel compiles without problems on my intel/Linux machine with the
cross-compiler tools from
> I've also tried to boot the precompiled DECstation kernels from
> over tftp, but the 1.3.62 stops at "Initializing memory"
> and 2.0.7 stops at "Initializing timer".

That's correct behaviour ... more code hasn't been written yet - or, to be
more precise, it hasn't been made available. I haven't heard from Paul
Antoine in the last weeks, maybe he's busy doing other things.

I got a timer interrupt ticking on my DS5000/200 last week, but the d**n
interrupt doesn't yet return to where it should ...

So, don't expect a completely working DecStation kernel. There is lots of
work to be done and you are invited to join us ... The biggest problem with
the 5000/1xx systems is missing documentation (Paul was trying to get some
from DEC). Currently, documentation is available for DS2100/3100 and DS5000/200.

        Michael Engel   (