Re: DecStation 5100

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DecStation 5100
From: paul@suite.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 11:34:19 +1100 (EST)
Hi guys,

I'm back in the land of the living, at least for two weeks until I
return to the US... :-)

Stu Allen wrote:

> Simon Williams wrote:
> >
> > Hi there,
> > I have a DecStation 5100. As far as I know it has a MIPS R3k processor.
>
> Hi Simon!
>
>       Is that a DecSTATION or a DecSYSTEM?  (Ie is it a workstation,
> or a server box?)  If it is the second, then welcome to the club!  I too
> have a DECsystem 5100 which is anxiously awaiting the MIPS port.
>
>       Paul Antoine is the owner of the DECstation port -- you'll probably
> hear from him too.  So far his test kernels don't run on this box - they
> register dump immediately after network download.  I would be curious to
> see what results you get on your box -- maybe we could compare register
> dumps :-)

The probable reason for this is my use of the DECstation's boot PROM
callback routines for printing to the console.  The DECsystem almost
certainly doesn't support the same call-backs, if at all.  Even the
DECstation 3100's have different boot PROMs, though I believe they do
support the same functions via a similar mechanism.

>       Seriously though.  I for one appreciate all the work done so
> far.  I'm hoping to start digging into the kernel soon too - I now
> have a setup where I have some space to do it, if I can only find the
> time.

Ahhhh... the familiar lament!

> It will be good to have another box to test on, if you're game.
>
>                               Stu Allen
>                               Linux-kernel-hacker-wannabe

Maybe I should just load the Linux/MIPS source up on a laptop and hack
my way through my business trips instead of reading science fiction
and fantasy novels on the aeroplanes in a vain attempt to remain
sane.... :-)

Regards,
Paul