Re: the nintendo64 is a R4000

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: the nintendo64 is a R4000
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 05:11:49 +0100 (MET)
Cc: milcom@netcom.com
> In message <199610290341.EAA00363@informatik.uni-koblenz.de>
> Systemkennung Linux writes:
> : Additional I/O hardware is available in a development kit for most
> : game consoles.
>
> What's the cost of these develoment kits?  Any ideas?

Sorry, no.  Best ask Nitendo or whoever manufactures that stuff.
AFAIK Nitendo is pretty restrictive with giving out technical,
information.  So trying to get such a kit might become difficult.

> The sony playstation can be had for about $100 around here.  And I have
> an old Super NES system too :-)

Sony Praystation is R3000 with some matrix stuff added in cp2.  Supposedly
no FPU and no idea yet about full TLB hardware.  Someone on this list is
currently reverse engineering that beast.

The NES doesn't use MIPS CPUs but a integrated variant of the MOS 65816,
the 16 bit successor of the 6502.  That CPU is trivial that you don't
really need an assembler for small projects (a9 37 85 01 4c e2 fc ... :-)