Re: Linux/MIPS 2.1.0

Subject: Re: Linux/MIPS 2.1.0
From: Amit Margalit <>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 08:14:06 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> In the old code sys_cacheflush(addr, size, flags) was both the syscall
> cacheflush as well as the routine that was called from within the kernel.
> The implementation did always flush the entire cache which is a
> chainsaw massacre to the performance as it flushed the data cache about
> 90000 times and the I-cache about 25000 times when booting with a minimal
> /etc/rc and no init.  The implementation was also buggy as it flushed the
> caches many times each times called.

Well, we guys with the DECstations are waiting to see a kernel that boots
all the way to actually load /etc/rc, and it seems like there's quite a
way to go.

> The actual cacheflush implementation is CPU model dependand as On MIPS the
> special situation that several different implementations of CPU caches
> exist.  The CPU type dependand initialization in arch/mips/kernel/setup.c
> and arch/mips/mips[1-4]/ take care of selection of the right routines.

Thanks. I'll take a look see what I can learn.

Amit Margalit (Software Support Digital Israel)
All information in the above mail message is personal, and does not
imply on my employer. None of it should be attributed to my employer.