Re: Linux/MIPS 2.1.0

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux/MIPS 2.1.0
From: Amit Margalit <amitm@amitpc.iso.dec.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 08:14:06 +0200 (IST)
Hi!

On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> In the old code sys_cacheflush(addr, size, flags) was both the syscall
> cacheflush as well as the routine that was called from within the kernel.
> The implementation did always flush the entire cache which is a
> chainsaw massacre to the performance as it flushed the data cache about
> 90000 times and the I-cache about 25000 times when booting with a minimal
> /etc/rc and no init.  The implementation was also buggy as it flushed the
> caches many times each times called.

Well, we guys with the DECstations are waiting to see a kernel that boots
all the way to actually load /etc/rc, and it seems like there's quite a
way to go.

> The actual cacheflush implementation is CPU model dependand as On MIPS the
> special situation that several different implementations of CPU caches
> exist.  The CPU type dependand initialization in arch/mips/kernel/setup.c
> and arch/mips/mips[1-4]/ take care of selection of the right routines.

Thanks. I'll take a look see what I can learn.

        Amit

Amit Margalit (Software Support Digital Israel) amitm@doronx.iso.dec.com
All information in the above mail message is personal, and does not
imply on my employer. None of it should be attributed to my employer.