Re: Help with Magnum 4000!

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Help with Magnum 4000!
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 00:59:33 +0200 (MET DST)
> The machine does not have the Magnum video card, and I cannot get anything
> out of either of the serial ports.  Which one am I supposed to use
> as a console?  How do I get it to spit things at the serial ports?

That machine has probably also some jumpers on the motherboard which sets
it to serial console/G364 console/G364 console and ignore errors during
self test.

> The machine does have the ethernet/serial card and the audio/mouse
> card.  I believe the machine was previously used to boot RISC/OS, and
> used the serial ports as console.  I have the Magnum setup disk goo
> (thanks Ralf) though I don't think that will work without a video card.
> I also have a flash-rom burner, so I can use that to reset the firmware.

Have fun with that procude.  I never did it myself and I wouldn't
wonder if other hardware than just the firmware flash-rom would need
to be reprogrammed, too.  You might post about this reprogramming
procedure to comp.sys.mips which also the some Mips people like Greg
Shippen who constructed that machine are reading.