2.0.7 on DS5000/200 ...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: 2.0.7 on DS5000/200 ...
From: Michael Engel <engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 09:30:22 +0100 (MET)
Hi all,

last night I finally found time to try Paul's 2.0.7 kernel on my DS5000/200
(haven't tried the 5000/120 yet).

It comes as far as
Initialising time ...

(init/main.c l. 773)
and hangs.

By looking through the startup code I came across some things that
I didn't understand ... I'm still waiting for my copy of Kane's
"MIPS RISC architecture" book
(our library has it, but it's currently loaned to s.o. else :().

I think most of my questions will be answered when I get better knowledge
of the MIPS instruction set ...

But, one question remains ...

- Am I correct in assuming that the boot monitor already sets up a
  virtual->physical address mapping ? In dec_entry.S a commenct reads

 * Now we need to move exception vector handler routines that appear
 * in head.S down to the right addresses, 'cos the DECStation loads
 * kernels at 0x80030000... <sigh>

  Afaik, the physical address space goes from 0x0 to 512 MBytes, so the
  0x80030000 should be a virtual address. Or did I get sth. wrong there ?

regards,
        Michael Engel   (engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de)