Re: Compiling a kernel for a Magnum R4k on an i586

To: krueger@rohan.sdsu.edu (Jeff Krueger)
Subject: Re: Compiling a kernel for a Magnum R4k on an i586
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 14:52:49 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Hi,

> Okay Ralf, you were right about the diskette drive, it does take around 5
> minutes to load (I hope the hard disk drive isn't that slow!), although I
> haven't attempted re-compiling milo/pandora just yet.  Recompiling them
> isn't that critical right now anyway since I have the working coppies from
> the 0.27 distribution which work fine.

I suppose somebody broke the Magnum BIOS bug workaround stuff.  The
Magnum ARC firmware has the nasty problem that after once calling Seek()
it will crash on Read() calls reading more than 512 bytes.  The firmware
does no track buffering and thus reading is incredibly slow.  Best
solution is to read the entire file in one Read() call.