> Okay, I got the newer binutils and gcc and linux 2.0.7. Compile worked
> fine, although it no loger asked me if I wanted to compile in ELF and it
This is ok; a.out is simply no longer an option.
> used the mipsel-linux-gcc compiler (and utils) instead of mipsel-linuxelf-gcc.
Again this is what it was supposed to do. Since a.out does no longer
exist I renamed the ELF configurations of the tools and removed the ELF
suffix from the name - just like it was done for Linux/i386 during the
a.out -> ELF transition.
> I had to REALLY strip the kernel down just to get it to 1.3m to fit on a
> diskette and when I booted with milo, it dumped me into the Jazz Monitor:
Your kernel is 1.3 meters? Mine usually fits on 3.5" disks ;-)
I assume you copied the vmlinux built in the compile directory to the
floppy. That doesn't work because Milo expects another format of the
boot image. You should have done a "make zdisk" which generates
arch/mips/boot/zImage which is much smaller. With the default
configuration the sizes of my files are:
ralf@rio # ll vmlinux
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ralf users 1919402 Sep 21 08:26 vmlinux*
ralf@rio # ll arch/mips/boot/zImage
-rw-r--r-- 1 ralf users 934592 Sep 21 08:27 arch/mips/boot/zImage
(Actually "make zdisk" is a lie; there is no compression done. The
boot image is smaller because it has only two symbols left and
uses another format which is a tiny bit more compact than ELF.)
> Jazz Monitor. Version 166
> Press H for help, Q to quit.
> AdEL exception occurred.
> at=80014888 v0=80607338 v1=00000007 a0=00000000 a1=807f2004 a2=8000b9f0
> a3=807f2004 t0=80600000 t1=8003f268 t2=8003f260 t3=0000008c t4=00000000
> t5=807f2000 t6=8000b9f0 t7=000001e8 s0=8000b500 s1=80000000 s2=8000b67c
> s3=8000b678 s4=00000010 s5=00000002 s6=00000001 s7=807f2004 t8=8003f2e0
> t9=00000000 k0=80041140 k1=80000194 gp=00002466 sp=805ff720 s8=8000bef8
> ra=806053e4 psr=20000803 epc=806053f8 cause=0000c010 errorepc=80011bb4
This simply says that Milo died. Obviously, since kernel crashes
never end in the monitor.
> I am befuddled at this point. I also did some tweaking to make it run
> mipsel-linuxelf-*, but it gave me the dli error as well.
That was wrong because you then were again using the ancient versions
of the tools.