Re: linux-mips development information

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: linux-mips development information
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 19:01:04 +0200 (MET DST)
> Kent Dahlgren (kentd@icube.com) writes:
>
> > ... we would like to port Linux to the cards. We would like to start
> > with the R4650 card.
>
> You've got a job on, guys; the R4650 has no address translation
> hardware (no "TLB").  I don't know a whole lot about Linux/MIPS but
> I'd guess that makes it rather difficult.

There is a project to port Linux to the 8086.  See
http://www.linux.org.uk/Linux8086.html.  The functionality is obviously
only a part of the normal Linux.  The project makes use of segment
pointers which makes it a bit more difficult to port the code ...

But that's probably not what they want ...

A weird imagination is most useful to gain full advantage
of all the features - manpage of amd(8).