Re: More patches

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: More patches
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 02:12:09 +0200 (MET DST)
> are you planning on doing a binary release any time soon?

Depends on what you're talking about.  I'll make a binary release of the
new tools for Linux and maybe later on for other operating systems as
this is close to zero work ("make").

I'll also have to do some changes to the building process of Milo such
that it can finally be used on the SNI firmware without moving the
code around after loading.  This is actually a real bug in Milo but
we couldn't fix it yet so far because of the binutils mentioned below.

                                                             I've tried
> cross compiling on a slackware 3.0 machine and have never been able
> to get a workable pandora or milo.  I was able to run the pandora binary
> off the milo distribution, and identify where the kernel should load
> (80060000) which is not the default load address.  However, when I try
> to compile milo/pandora with the new load address (or even straight out
> of the box) I can't get it to run.

I intend to solve this load address problem by making Milo/Pandora
relocatable.  The problem with this is that binutils crash/die/produce
bad code when attempting this with Milo.

> Perhaps you could just mail me a milo compiled to load the kernel at
> 0x80060000 and a vmlinuz to see if this is all it takes to get linux
> to load on my NetPower SMP box. (I realize that the linux will only
> take advantage of one processor...)

I don't have any data at all about NetPower machines; even worse NetPower
has so far not shown any interest in having Linux run on their machines.
That makes it pretty difficult to port Linux to Netpower machines.

Anyway, since you have NT running on your machine you might try to gather
some technical data by using one of the standard NT tools (what was the
name again?  I forget so fast if it's about NT ...) which will print out
some data about which device uses how many ports/address space/ irqs.
This information might already be enough to build a primitive port.  Is
this an ISA/EISA/PCI/something else machine?

Hmm...  Maybe it's also time again to send another mail heap to the
NetPower people ...

Per, do you have some technical information about NetPower?

A weird imagination is most useful to gain full advantage
of all the features - manpage of amd(8).