Re: decstation 3100

Subject: Re: decstation 3100
From: (Kai Harrekilde-Petersen)
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 17:43:03 +0200 (MET DST)

[info about my hobby R3051 board snipped]
> This is indeed a nice project.  Somehow it's even a back to the roots thing.

[historical anecdote deleted for brevity]

>  That much about history ...

I can imagine.

For me, the board (I kinda call it 'minirisc') serves two purposes: 1)
I think that MIPS'es are cute little things so I want to play with 'em
(possibly the cleanest RISC there is - flames to /dev/null), and 2)
trying to port Linux to it would get me to know more about kernels.

Since the board (i) use the R3051 (MIPS-I ISA), (ii) is big-endian,
and (iii) the R3051 has *no* TLB, there should be enough work :-)

An ex-colleague of mine wants to do a similar project (we've heavily
traded ideas, memory layout etc), and for lack of other things to set
the thing to do, he want it to run GhostScript.

Kai Harrekilde-Petersen    <>    #include <std/disclaimer.h>          Linux: the choice of a GNU generation
Route 287 - Where Men are Men and sheep are nervous ...