Re: decstation 3100

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: decstation 3100
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 17:07:53 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> > => R3000 CPU. I got a decstation 3100 with 16Mo of RAM and various disks. I
> > => also got a 486 Linux box...
>
> I'm doing (make that: will do) R3000 stuff too, since I have a
> kitchen-bench project going to make an ISA-plugin R3051 board (DRAM,
> flash/eprom, sram, 2*16c550a).
>
> [Board info: Since I basically have a big-endian mind, the board will
> be big-endian too.  I intend to do a board-level simulation in Verilog
> before I build it.  As of now, I have a bus model of the R3051 plus
> DRAM, and sram models.  A model of the ISA bus is still missing,
> though.  Right now, I'm working on the control logic (ISA->R3051 bus
> x'lator++).  Hopefully, I should start wirewrapping soon (yeah, RSN
> right?)]

This is indeed a nice project.  Somehow it's even a back to the roots thing.
Probably just a view people on this list can remember than some years ago
Neil Russel posted the idea of building such a board as accelerator for
Intel PCs to comp.os.linux.  The echo was overwhelming and soon a mailing
list for the "Riscy" project was created.

The original idea of the ISA card was soon droped and replaced by a
real motherboard.  Unfortunately the people on the list were unable to
find a common dominator of what exactly they wanted to build and after
almost a year or so the project died but was later on revived by some
people of the Waldorf Electronic development department with interest in
a MIPS system for both purposes of the company and in Linux on a real
hardware.  That much about history ...

A weird imagination is most useful to gain full advantage
of all the features - manpage of amd(8).