Re: Linux/MIPS 2.0.6 uploaded

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux/MIPS 2.0.6 uploaded
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 21:59:50 +0200 (MET DST)
> > - Removes support for building with the a.out tools.  Binutils 2.7 has buggy
> >   MIPS a.out support and I don't see a point in supporting this further.
> >   Instead I've written a small program mkboot which is essentially a
> >   converter from ELF to a.out.  Benefit is that you won't need to upgrade
> >   your Milo.
>
> hmm, not a nice move. Now I have to patch my complete built-enviroment
> again. But a good chance to remove some of my ECOFF binaries and
> save a little disk space. Nevertheless some useless work for me.

Well, actually I was planning that since quite some time.  WIth the
special problems that crosscompiling on an Alpha machines brings, this
hits you harder, sorry.

If you want to avoid the upgrade you can probably cheat by adding the
missing defines to the compiler command like (see also
include/asm-mips/sgidefs.h) and changing the arch/mips/Makefile to use
the mipsel-linuxelf-* tools instead of the mipsel-linux-*.

Anyway, with no more a.out stuff I feel better ...

> Do I need to rebuilt all Mips user binaries, or do the old one still
> work ? If not, is there a chance for a new root-x.xx.tar.gz ?

Dave has done some work on Red Hat packages.  When I have catched up
with my baaaacklog I'll rebuild them for little endian machines.  So
we can skip that .tar.gz thing rsn hopefully.

A weird imagination is most useful to gain full advantage
of all the features - manpage of amd(8).