Re: Linux on old R2000 workstation?

Subject: Re: Linux on old R2000 workstation?
From: Dom Sweetman <>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 21:45:27 +0100 (BST)
Ralf Baechle ( writes:

> Hmm...  Is the - just by chance - the hardware of the Whitechapel similar
> to the old MIPS machines?  Docs are missing for these and make a successful
> port of Linux to these machines difficult.

Alas no.  The Whitechapel was actually designed before any of these
others, and quite independently.  We'd all have *died* rather than use
anyone else' hardware designs - engineers were proud folk in those
far-off days.  Well, OK we snuck a look at the MIPS M/800 cache
design, but that hardly counts (and isn't visible to software, either).

> > .... whereas DEC and Sony are both little-endian.
> Are you shure?  From what I know Sony (also NeWS!) is wired to big endian.
> The Sony people didn't implement an endian switch in their boards.

Now you've set off Horrible Doubts.  Why did I believe that about the
Sony?  Can't remember, so Ralf is likely right.  But I agree with him
that none of the systems of that age (that I knew about) were

Dominic Sweetman