Re: MIPS RC2030???

To: alp@gambit.msk.su (Alexey Panteleev)
Subject: Re: MIPS RC2030???
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 20:40:06 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Hi Alexey,

> i am back to work from my vacation now.
>
> did you hear anything from that MIPS guy?

Yes, indeed he tried to dig out as much information for me as possible.  The
bad news is that apparently most people have already shreddered the
information of interest including SGI itself.

So far the result is that one guy from the US offered the documentation
that was delivered with his RC2030.  He says that there is one chapter in
one of the manuals that has some deeper technical information.  Unfortunately
he wants to sell the manuals including the machine which is probably not
what you/the other RC2030 interest users on this list want.

There were two other offers but I'm not shure if they really have the
information that we want.  Then again there would be the possibility to
examine the sources included with Risc/OS for for system generation and to
reverse engineer the kernel and kernel object files.  Deciede for yourself
if this is what you want do.

Luckily I think, the RC2030 is a rather primitve R2000 box with a dumb frame
buffer etc.  Also someone told me that older X versions support the frame
buffer of the RC2030.

I think this is also of interest to the other RC2030/RC3030 users, though
not necessarily good news, so I copy this to the list.

A weird imagination is most useful to gain full advantage
of all the features - manpage of amd(8).