Re: Linux on old R2000 workstation?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux on old R2000 workstation?
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 14:25:02 +0200 (MET DST)
> > I have (please don't laugh ;-)) a Whitechapel Hitech-10, a workstation
> > from an English company that doesn't exist any more. It was built in
> > 1988 oder 89, has a R2000 CPU@16Mhz, 8 MB of RAM and has 1280x1024x256
> > color graphics. It is running 4.3BSD. I have X11R3 and NeWS.
>
> No, don't laugh - the people who conceived and developed this machine
> mostly now work for Algorithmics and are watching this mail group.  On
> its launch in 1987 it was probably the fastest workstation in the
> world - not bad for a UK company nobody had heard of.

Indeed the R2000 with a good memory system can deliver incredible performance.
After a hardware fault on my universities last MIPS machine this R2000
machine from '88 had to be replaced with several Sparc 5...

> You're welcome to any driver code you're interested in.  It's really
> only ever run BSD derivatives (we did put up MIPS' RISC/os unix V.3,
> but it had a BSD chassis).

Hmm...  Is the - just by chance - the hardware of the Whitechapel similar
to the old MIPS machines?  Docs are missing for these and make a successful
port of Linux to these machines difficult.

> The R2000 CPU runs the same code as any R3000; but the Whitechapel
> machine is big-endian, whereas DEC and Sony are both little-endian.

Are you shure?  From what I know Sony (also NeWS!) is wired to big endian.
The Sony people didn't implement an endian switch in their boards.

> It's nice to know there's still some in use out there.

Hah!  I'm still running V7 :-)

A weird imagination is most useful to gain full advantage
of all the features - manpage of amd(8).