Re: Linux on old R2000 workstation?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux on old R2000 workstation?
From: Dominic Sweetman <dom@algor.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 96 12:25:09 +0100
Matthias Heidbrink (mh@cs.tu-berlin.de) writes:

> I have (please don't laugh ;-)) a Whitechapel Hitech-10, a workstation
> from an English company that doesn't exist any more. It was built in
> 1988 oder 89, has a R2000 CPU@16Mhz, 8 MB of RAM and has 1280x1024x256
> color graphics. It is running 4.3BSD. I have X11R3 and NeWS.

No, don't laugh - the people who conceived and developed this machine
mostly now work for Algorithmics and are watching this mail group.  On
its launch in 1987 it was probably the fastest workstation in the
world - not bad for a UK company nobody had heard of.

You're welcome to any driver code you're interested in.  It's really
only ever run BSD derivatives (we did put up MIPS' RISC/os unix V.3,
but it had a BSD chassis).

The R2000 CPU runs the same code as any R3000; but the Whitechapel
machine is big-endian, whereas DEC and Sony are both little-endian.

It's nice to know there's still some in use out there.

Regards,

Dominic Sweetman                phone: +44 171 700 3301
Algorithmics Ltd                home:  +44 171 226 0032
3 Drayton Park                  fax:   +44 171 700 3400
London N5 1NU                   email: dom@algor.co.uk
ENGLAND.                        www:   http://www.algor.co.uk
                                ftp:   ftp.algor.co.uk