Re: ... but can we _USE_ it ...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: ... but can we _USE_ it ...
From: paul@suite.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 09:18:44 +1000 (EST)
Hi Lambert,

> Hello, I saw about your courageous attempts to put Linux on
> MIPS: great. We are running Ultrix V4.1 on 2 DECstation 5000 and
> some 3100. Upgrading to a later Ultrix version is even impossible
> with our H/W configuration.

Which is one of the motivations for porting Linux...

> We use Linux on Pentium and 486 and are happy with that.
> Only: we are no kernel hackers. Is there any reason why we still
> should try Linux/MIPS? We mainly develop in C. The system should
> run ftp and www servers, a CuSeeMe reflector, and be an NFS disk server.

There is probably no point in you trying Linux/MIPS for DEC at this
stage if you are not able to help with kernel hacking.  We will make a
general announcement when the kernel becomes useful enough for BETA
testing by people such as yourselves.

Here is the web address for the DECstation pages so you can keep a
check on progress as we go:

        http://www.softway.com.au/people/paul/dec/

Thanks,
Paul (DECstation port co-ordinator)