Re: MIPS Magnum 4000SC-50 help

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: MIPS Magnum 4000SC-50 help
From: Andreas Busse <andy@soft-n-hard.de>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 12:28:58 +0200
Hi,

 > The nice people at Sydney University have given me a MIPS Magnum 4000SC-50
 > machine to help with the Linux/MIPS port.  The trouble is, I have no doco,
 > and the machine has:
 >
 >              No RAM
 >              No Graphics Card
 >              No Keyboard
 >              No Floppy
 >              No HD
 >
 > Now, the lack of floppy and HD is no problem as I have some of those, and
 > I'm assuming that the machine has been used as a server (i.e. without KB
 > or Vid,), so that they pose no problem either (it was running RISC/OS).

Hmmm. You'll need to get a video board as well as the mouse/audio board
to run the box in little endian (WinNT) mode. I have a spare video board,
but no audio/mouse board. Without the audio/mouse board the ARC bootloader
fails during the selftest.

 >              What RAM to use?  Standard 72pin SIMMs?  What sizes are
 >              o.k?  Which SIMM sockets do I populate first?  Do I need
 >              to put them in 1 or n at a time?

It wants 4 (four) at a time, from the right to the left (viewn from
the front of the box). You need standard PS2 Simms with parity with
at least 2 Megs (512k * 36) each.

 >              ...and stops at '1'.  I'm assuming it wants RAM before it
 >              can go any further.

Probably yes ;-)

Hope this helps,
Andy