Re: DECstation & COFF

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation & COFF
From: paul@suite.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 17:36:04 +1000 (EST)
Hi folks!

Ralf wrote:

> Is there a reason why you don't use a multistage bootstrap loader that
> allows you to use a small COFF bootloader which then loads the real
> kernel image in whatever format you wish to use?

Ummm... I just spent a microsecond thinking about this, and it seems
we could write a bootloader for the DECstation that makes calls to the
boot proms to load a kernel from either disk or TCP/IP in ELF format.

It requires more thought... and probably wouldn't work for the 3100/2100
series as it doesn't have convenient ROM callback routines so we'd have to
re-write the bootp code.

On another note, I have just about convinced Sydney University to donate
some old MIPS workstations to support our porting efforts.  I will have
at least one R4K machine, and maybe a 3230.  More work to do... and
big-endian as well!

Regards,
Paul