Re: Hello, I want in!

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Hello, I want in!
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 17:56:44 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: amitm@amitpc.iso.dec.com
Hi,

> I work for DEC, and have at hand at least 2 machines that might be
> worth examining, both might become available for me to do tests on.
> I am working on getting another disk, so I can install Linux/MIPS
> on them.
>
> The machines are:
>
> DECstation 5000/133
> DECstation 3100
>
> I have a 24-Bit screen card on the 5000, and would like to know if
> there is any chance of running Ultrix native binaries in Linux/MIPS
> as they do for Linux/Alpha and Digital Unix binaries.

So far noone has worked on Ultrix compatibility.  The SGI port features
IRIX compatibility.  As the DEC port has reached the state of basic
useability binary compatibility is definately on the to-do list, but
noone has worked on it yet.

> Also, I'd love to help. If you have ideas about things you want to
> know about the above systems, let me know. I cannot promise anything
> but I sure will try to help with information.

This offer is _very_ welcome.  The lack of complete documentation for the
is probably the thing that so far has slowed down the port to the MIPS
based DECstations most.  I've not worked directly for DEC targets; probaly
Paul Antoine will probably tell what is missing.

A weird imagination is most useful to gain full advantage
of all the features - manpage of amd(8).