Re: .

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: .
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 15:08:21 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: jps@siteways.nl
Hi Jan,

> I've got a few questions for you. I checked out your Linux/MIPS page
> and I became very interested in the project.

 :-)

> Since three years, I've been running (and hacking) Linux on my 486-
> "thing" at home. At my work (I'm a system operator / programmer /
> technician) I have access to a lot of different SGI workstations and
> servers. A few (say 20) of Indy's, some Indigo's, some Challenge-S
> servers, and a Challenge XL.
>
> That is immediately my biggest problem: SGI workstations are never
> mentioned inside your site. So I wonder if there is support at all for
> SGI Stations; a strange thing, since MIPS is in fact 'an SGI company'.

Well, you didn't read everything :-)  David S. Miller is currently porting
my MIPS port (for a number of more or less PC-like machines and
DECstations) to SGI workstations.  For now it isn't yet working on all
types of SGI machines but progress is fast and a first distribution is
expected soon.

> If SGI is on the list of supported computers, I would gladly join the
> project. My experience:
>
>       Unix:   4.4BSD (internals), SVR4 (internals)
>               IRIX internals (as far as that's possible with SGI :-)

  objdump -d :-)

>       Programming: C, x86 Assembler, Pascal, etc.
>       Computers: I'm a computer engineer, so that's no problem
>       And a lot of SGI experience.

  Ralf

(I've subscribed you to the list)