Re: SGI

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: SGI
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 17:39:58 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> Cool!  That's good news for the project.  I hope to see them in a new
> kernel soon.  What's a n32 and an o32 binary?

There is the o32 ABI which uses the calling convention you know.  For
the 64bit ABI a new calling convention has been developed with modifications
to which registers are caller saved, callee saved and - probably most
interesting - six parameter passing registers.  It has been found that
much code needs to be fixed for the 64bit ABI.  So as logic next step
a new 32bit ABI n32 has been developed.  It offers the better performance
made possible by the 64bit ABI combined with the compatibility to the
old 32bit stuff.  That at least is a very short and inexact explanations.

There are some Postscript documents available from SGI's webserver.  Look
in the Linux/MIPS webpages at http://lena.fnet.fr/, it has the document
numbers.

> Hey Ralf, have you integrated it yet.  It has been 4 whole days since
> David posted :-)

Nothing at all.   One reasing is that I had to spend the days in bed, the
other that Dave hasn't set me the code yet.  Dave abviously addressed
some of the most important problems, especially the cachflushing thing
was something that I wasn't pround of ...

Oh, I've binutils 2.7 ready for release including binary packages.  I'll
have to go to the university to upload 'em, that NetBSE "maillost" is
that badly misconfigured that I can't do uploads ...