Subject: Re: SGI
From: Systemkennung Linux <>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 04:24:02 +0200 (MET DST)
Bonjour Didier,

>     Ralf> For a long time noone of you DECstation people has posted.
>     Ralf> What's the status?  There are some people in switzerland
>     Ralf> that are working on R3000 stuff which will be very usefull
>     Ralf> for the DEC.
> Well, we hope so :-)

Not to forget R3000 Indigos ...

> A little status report: our working version of the kernel is now moderately
> usable on our R3052-based (R3000 instruction set) board.

> I made major changes to the TLB code , which is now horrendously unefficient,
> but seems to work. We also changed various spots throughout the mips-specific
> parts to make them R3000 compatible and endianness-independent.

Indeed, as written the code wasn't the right thing to fit the R3000.

> The trouble is: our version is based on version 1.3.98 of the kernel. We
> would now like to integrate kernel updates up to 2.0.max and make our
> R3000 adaptations available.

Luckily we're living in a time of code freeze, so this won't be that hard.

> I suggest that some assembly-language files (for example head.S) be splitted
> into R3000 and R4000 versions because they really become cluttered with
> conditional directives.

Yes, you're completly right.  My plan was to put all the code dealing with
exception handling from head.S into mips[1-4]/.  The parts of machine and
prozessor specific initialization that are in head.S should be rewritten
to C for maintainability and go into <arch/mips/<machine>/setup.c and
arch/mips/kernel/setup.c.  What will finally be left in head.S is more or
less nothing but initializing a few CPU register.

> Besides, we really need to have shared library support.

I'm still debugging.  GCC, binutils and the dynamic linker had bugs.  The
bugs in GCC are gone and since two days I finally have a set of binutils
where all the annoying bugs like abort when striping most files are
gone also; the dynamic linker is getting more reliable also.

> Does anybody have any hints on how to do all this in the most efficient
> way (if there's one :-) ?

The shared library stuff is the easy part to do for you:  nothing to do
because the minimal required support is already in the kernel and the
userland is completly o32 ABI/MIPS ISA I.

For the rest just send me a diff using options -urN.  I assume that most
of you patches can easily be integrated; we can then talk about how to
integrate the rest of the patches.  I'm not yet as swamped with patches
as Linus is, so this will probably pretty painless for you.