Re: SGI

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: SGI
From: Didier Frick <dfrick@dial.eunet.ch>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 01:40:28 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr

Hi all !

[...]
    Ralf> For a long time noone of you DECstation people has posted.
    Ralf> What's the status?  There are some people in switzerland
    Ralf> that are working on R3000 stuff which will be very usefull
    Ralf> for the DEC.

Well, we hope so :-)
A little status report: our working version of the kernel is now moderately
usable on our R3052-based (R3000 instruction set) board.
I made major changes to the TLB code , which is now horrendously unefficient,
but seems to work. We also changed various spots throughout the mips-specific
parts to make them R3000 compatible and endianness-independent.
The trouble is: our version is based on version 1.3.98 of the kernel. We
would now like to integrate kernel updates up to 2.0.max and make our
R3000 adaptations available.
I suggest that some assembly-language files (for example head.S) be splitted
into R3000 and R4000 versions because they really become cluttered with
conditional directives.
Besides, we really need to have shared library support.
Does anybody have any hints on how to do all this in the most efficient
way (if there's one :-) ?

                Thanks,

                                Didier