Re: SGI

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: SGI
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 19:50:40 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> There are two efforts going, both of which are happily feeding off each
> other (or at least the SGI stuff is feeding off of the Linux-mips stuff).
>
> THe SGI hardware is different than the other stuff out there - the other
> stuff looks more like a PC, has PC byte order, PC devices, etc.  THe
> SGI hardware is, well, SGI hardware.
>
> We are just getting started with the Linux/SGI (I dunno what we want
> to call it) effort.

I like Linux/MIPS as name because it neutral with respect to the manufaturer
of the box.  Usefull to avoid confussion ("Will Linux/SNI binaries run on
my Linux/SGI system?

                      It is currently booting single user over NFS
> on an Indy, we just got a disk driver last night.  It runs IRIX
> binaries (elf, and maybe some day old COFF binaries) as long as
> we've added all the little IRIX isms.  SO far, stuff like sed, awk,
> that sort of thing, works.

COFF will be also interesting for the DECstations and old Mips, Inc systems.
I don't have a use for it but there is probably a volunteer on this list?

> The guy doing all the work (or at least 99% of it) is David Miller, the
> Sparc/Linux guy.  We bought him :-)

  :-)

Oh, this mail is another proof that somewhere mail to my university gets
lost.  I only received Larry's reply.  If someone is still waiting for
an answer from me please send it again and CC to ralf@julia.de.