Re: Lets shrink ...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Lets shrink ...
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 21:24:15 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

>     Ralf> Hi all, just thought the MIPS binaries are a bit to large,
>     Ralf> so let's shrink 'em.  Since yesterday shared libs are
>     Ralf> working ...
>
> what do we need to get them to work ? In particular, which version of the
> binutils ?

You need to rebuild GCC and to add -DWITH_SHARED_LIBS to CFLAGS.  Then
you'll have to install a new set of binutils based on a snapshot.  (Didn't
I say hell will freeze before I publish something based on snapshots?
Winter starts soon ;-)  The old binutils cannot handle the relocations
in PIC code; when using the new libs they cannot even be used to build
static executables.  Finally you'll need new libraries.

All three parts involved are still unpublished.  I'll publish the first
little endian binaries of glibc 960619 rsn;