Some questions

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Some questions
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@bigbug.franken.de>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 21:51:38 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

first some good news, a couple of minutes ago I was able to bring
up my Olivetti with a nearly working SONIC driver (ping -f works,
telnet works, NFS read is ok, only NFS writes are still making
troubles).

While working on the driver, I found a strange looking problem.
To test the driver I've compiled ping. Maybe because of the really
outdated libc (from root-0.01) I had a hard time to do that.
I managed to compile it, and it works nearly as expected, but
when I ping some host (even localhost), I get the normal ping
response and a duplicate ping response with 492 bytes for every ping
request. Even when I change the packet size, the duplicate response
is still 492 bytes big.

So now I'm not sure, if my problem is related to my old libc or
something inside the kernel. Does anybody have a working ping,
which doesn't show this strange behaviour ?

Another thing I've noticed is that ping times are about 30ms, which
IMHO is really bad. But that's only when I start the ping on the Mips
box itself, a ping from my Alpha shows me 0.0ms RTT. Maybe this is
related to my broken ping.

Thomas.

--
That process _deserves_ to die ("My name is Linus Torvalds, prepare to
die").                                [Linus Torvalds on linux-kernel]