Re: DS5000/120

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DS5000/120
From: paul@suite.sw.oz.au (Paul Antoine)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 12:29:25 +1000 (EST)
Hi Folks,

Michael Engel writes:

> Now comes the best thing. I managed to boot the DS5000 via tftp from
> a Linux/ intel system (no problem, I've set up diskless Sun client for
> years :)) and tried to boot linux-1.3.62.dec.tar.gz from
> ftp.softway.com.au and - voila! - it started to spill out messgaes on
> the console ! The system is correctly detected as DecStation 5000/1xx
> and continues to boot (I haven't got the exact messages, but I can
> reproduce them) until the line
>
> Clearing memory
>
> (or was that "testing memory" ?

It's "Initialising memory", and it's not a standard Linux message.
I'm using Luc's standard printk method of debugging :-)

> Then the system hangs and doesn't even react when pressing the reset
> button on the back, I have to switch power to bring the DS5000 back to
> life.

Yes, this is as far as my debugging has gone, and you will have
noticed several "Avoiding doing xxxx" messages that appear in sections
where I know there are still problems.  I could be kind and add a call
to the boot prom to do a 'halt', but I couldn't be bothered because
this hanging-point keeps changing from one compile to another as I do
more work.

> But I was very impressed that I came this far !!! Fine work !

Thanks!

> [availability of DS5000/120 documentation]
>
> > The reason you can't find them is that they are not publically available.
> > DEC has made them available to individuals at different times but has
> > not published them.  This is about to change however, as my good friend
> > John "Maddog" Hall at DEC is getting them cleaned up and approved for
> > publication.
>
> Sounds good. I just wondered because DS3100 and 5000/200 documentation is
> on gatekeeper.

Yeah - it's weird, but just an artifact of history I think.  The 3100
and 5000/200 documentation has actually helped a fair bit (along with
the source to MACH for the DECstations).  I'm off to the US again next
weekend so I won't get a chance to do some more work on the DECstation
port for a few weeks.

Regards,
Paul