Re: DS5000/120

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DS5000/120
From: Michael Engel <engel@vespa.unix-ag.uni-siegen.de>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 19:00:58 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> I fixed the problems with Sinix by replacing it with Linux on my RM200 :-)
>
>   Ralf

Well, I wasn't permitted ... ;)

> (Are you shure that the MX400 has a MIPS processor?  That's would be the
> third processor series (NS32000, i386, MIPS) that the use for the MX series.

Oooops, no ! Bad typo, this was in fact an RM400 ! We have a MX300 case here
that holds our ftp sevrer (386DX40 running Linux ...), so I got confused ...

> Yuck.  But otherwise you're right with your opinion about SINIX.  I sometimes
> have to use an ancient MX2 and no doubt - most horrible UNIX ever.  A short
> live session on oldtimer.cs.uni-sb.de:

Well, let's see :
> (1) /usr/users/baechle > uptime
> uptime: Command not found.
> (2) /usr/users/baechle > w
> w: Command not found.

So far, this looks like an old SCO Unix version with TCP/IP ;)

> (3) /usr/users/baechle > ftp tsx-11.mit.edu
> ftp: getsockname: Unzulaessiges Argument
> ftp> by

Oops, I _hate_ german error messages. Solaris drives me crazy with those ...

> (4) /usr/users/baechle > ftp ftp.cs.helsinki.fi
> Connected to porsas.cs.Helsinki.FI.
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> (5) /usr/users/baechle > telnet ozzy.uni-koblenz.de
> mud.uni-paderborn.de: unknown host

OK, now I know I'll refuse the offer to get a free MX2 I got some weeks ago ;)

> Yes, hard/software are ok and correctly installed but though the
> resolver fails, the machine needs proxy ARP, telnetd and rlogind crash ...
> Yes, they dared to sell it ...)

Hmmm, this all reminds me of our old TI S1500. This machine is a multi-
processor 68030/040 system with a mixture of SVR2 and SVR3 Unix. Once, Texas
Instruments decided they needed TCP/IP for their system. They forgot to :
- include NFS :(
- include a lpr client
- include a lpr server
(and I wasn't able to compile either ...)
The netstat command is called tcpstat and the whole thing drives me crazy
sometimes :) But - if it runs, it runs _very_ reliably. I regularly get
months of uptimes on these machines ...

regards,
        Michael Engel   (engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de)