Re: DS5000/120

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DS5000/120
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 18:09:50 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> (or was that "testing memory" ? I did all that last Friday and had to struggle
> with a different MIPS box - a Siemens MX400 (running SINIX - urgh !)) over
> the weekend ...) appears.

I fixed the problems with Sinix by replacing it with Linux on my RM200 :-)
The box was borrowed by SNI and so I dare to hope that we'll also get other
SNI MIPS machines from them to put Linux on them.

  Ralf

(Are you shure that the MX400 has a MIPS processor?  That's would be the
third processor series (NS32000, i386, MIPS) that the use for the MX series.
Yuck.  But otherwise you're right with your opinion about SINIX.  I sometimes
have to use an ancient MX2 and no doubt - most horrible UNIX ever.  A short
live session on oldtimer.cs.uni-sb.de:

(1) /usr/users/baechle > uptime
uptime: Command not found.
(2) /usr/users/baechle > w
w: Command not found.
(3) /usr/users/baechle > ftp tsx-11.mit.edu
ftp: getsockname: Unzulaessiges Argument
ftp> by
(4) /usr/users/baechle > ftp ftp.cs.helsinki.fi
Connected to porsas.cs.Helsinki.FI.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
(5) /usr/users/baechle > telnet ozzy.uni-koblenz.de
mud.uni-paderborn.de: unknown host
(6) /usr/users/baechle >

Yes, hard/software are ok and correctly installed but though the
resolver fails, the machine needs proxy ARP, telnetd and rlogind crash ...
Yes, they dared to sell it ...)